Tuesday Intros & Teaser Tuesdays - 'The Oversight' by Charlie Fletcher

The Oversight (Oversight Trilogy, #1)Woe is me, I'm working all day. At least working lots means I get money with which I can buy books. It's not like I need money for anything else, right? Thankfully I'll be going back to France with my mother for a week mid-August, but there'll be a lake then, rather than mountains. But Tuesdays are not days for nostalgia but for teaser-sharing! So here we go. Tuesday Intros are hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Teaser Tuesdays are hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. This week I'm sharing The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher, which I haven't started yet but will as soon as I come home tomorrow.
Only five still guard the borders between the worlds. Only five hold back what waits on the other side. 
Once the Oversight, the secret society that policed the lines between the mundane and the magic, counted hundreds of brave souls among its members. Now their numbers can be counted on a single hand. 
When a vagabond brings a screaming girl to the Oversight's London headquarters, it seems their hopes for a new recruit will be fulfilled - but the girl is a trap. 
As the borders between this world and the next begin to break down, murders erupt across the city, the Oversight are torn viciously apart, and their enemies close in for the final blow. 
This gothic fantasy from Charlie Fletcher (the Stoneheart trilogy) spins a tale of witch-hunters, supra-naturalists, mirror-walkers and magicians. Meet the Oversight, and remember: when they fall, so do we all.
Intro:
'The natural and supranatural inhabit the same world, intersecting but largely unseen to one another, like lodgers who share a house but keep different hours, only occasionally passing on the narrow stairs. They do not speak the same language, their customs are different and their views of the world and the laws and behaviours that govern it are wildly and mutually opposed.It is only when they bump shoulders that they take note of each other, but when they do so, arcane and infelicitous things till happen. Because of this, it is necessary that the tight spaces where such friction may occur are governed by rules, and that those rules are policed.' p.1
I like the slight world building that is going on here. Fletcher makes it quite clear it is set in our world, but that there is something there that we don't know about. I'm intrigued.


Teaser:
'Inside the double doors the footman crossed a small anteroom to another door. This door was ironbound with a lattice of metalwork, and in its centre was a wide ledge and two letterboxes, marked IN and OUT. A tray was positioned under the OUT slit, standing ready to catch whatever paper was pushed through it.' p.86
Perhaps I didn't choose the most exciting teaser, but I thought it was a great piece of descriptive writing, so I decided to share it anyway. I know really want to know where this door open to!

I think I've teased myself now! I can't wait to get back home from work and start reading this one! I so desperately want to be part of a secret magic police society in London, I can't even tell you!

Comments

  1. Interesting tease! Totally new to me but hope you're enjoying it!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting because it's so descriptive! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not immediately hooked, so I'd have to read a bit more to decide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts